Re: Ethernet is not started at boot

Hello Brian,

Am 2018-02-07 hackte Brian in die Tasten:
> On Wed 07 Feb 2018 at 13:42:04 +1300, Richard Hector wrote:
>> The netmask line is an alternative to that. You need to tell it
>> _somehow_ how big the subnet is.
>
> As a changelog from May 2012 says:
>
>   * Calculate netmask internally, so even if a user haven't supplied
>     one or have used CIDR notation, hook scripts will have it properly
>     specified in IF_NETMASK environment variable.

Thats true, but this is only for a standard config using e.g.

192.168.0.0
10.0.0.0

networks.  Since Media Converter (Ethernet-Fiber) cost only arround  65?
I decided to cable my whole BioFarm with arround 2500m to connect all my
sensors to the grid.  And no, Wifi  is  no  option,  because  there  are
criminals using Wifi Jammer and then the WHOLE network is for the ass.

However, the lead to the problem, that I need more then 256 IP addresses
and since I do not want to install my own  Linux  router  behind  my  3G
Gateway only to have 512 IP adresses or more, I decided to increaase the
network with 255.255.127.0. and if the IP is e.g. 192.168.4.12, then the
IP range become automatically 192.168.4.0-192.168.5.255.

Without Netmask it can not be guessed by any systems, that you have more
then 256 IP addresses.

Have a nice day

--
Michelle Konzack        Miila ITSystems @ TDnet