Re: Ethernet is not started at boot

On Tue, Feb 06, 2018 at 06:58:50AM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 February 2018 05:42:53 Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > auto enp0s25
> > iface enp0s25 inet static
> >         address         192.168.0.202
> >         netmask         255.255.255.0
> >         gateway         192.168.0.1
> >         network         192.168.0.0
> >
> > allow-hotplug enp0s25
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Doesn't the above line belong ABOVE the iface line? It has been in every
> example I've looked at. I am not using that line as its static, not
> dhcpd.

No.  You either want "auto enp0s25" or "allow-hotplug enp0s25" but not
both.

If the interface is *important*, and you want services to wait for it
before starting, then you should use "auto".

If you use "allow-hotplug", this tells Debian that the interface is
optional, and services should feel free to start up before the
interface is ready.  This breaks ALL KINDS of shit on a traditional
workstation that participates in a network.  It's even worse on a
server.

For some reason, Debian defaults to "allow-hotplug", perhaps because
they think most people are installing on laptops.