Re: Frustration over Debian naming (was: Re: Meltdown fix for wheezy-backports)

On Sat 13 Jan 2018 at 17:05:54 (+0000), Curt wrote:
> On 2018-01-13, David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Sat 13 Jan 2018 at 05:14:37 (+0100), Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă wrote:
> >> On 12-01-2018, at 15h 03'25", David Wright wrote about "Re: Frustration over Debian naming (was: Re: Meltdown fix for wheezy-backports)"
> >> >

> >> I do not take sides here, but I can't accept this statement. Numbers
> >> are universal, Debian release names are English. I do not use any of
> >> then (numbers or names). I simply have a look in /etc/apt/sources when
> >> I need to know what version of Debian I use at the moment, and I am
> >> using Debian before potato... (yes, I look into my /etc/apt/sources
> >> file to pull that name).
> >>
> >> Did any of Debian release names were translated? I am bad with names.
> >> Specially English ones. I find all of Debian release names stupid till
> >> now. Culminating with perpetual Sid (no, I did not consulted
> >> /etc/apt/sources file now).
> >>
> >> I am extremely good with numbers. You could say that I can speak
> >> math. Although I studied chemistry. So, coming back to the statement,
> >> I find it extremely stupid. You could have getting away saying
> >> "People use WORDS, computers USE numbers." Numbers are words so nobody
> >> is offended.
> >>
> >> Take care what you write.
> >
> > I'm not sure what's going on here. Am I meant to apologise for the
> > fact that the Debian project was developed in an English-speaking
> > environment?
>
> Perhaps he has meant to say you have confused names with words; the
> former being specific to a language and culture, and the latter being
> universal.
>
> For instance, here a "vieux con" denotes something quite telling,
> whereas elsewhere, when dealing with doddering idiots who remain
> consistently in a state of unselfconscious befuddlement, you would
> surely seek some other term.

This is where themes can help. If, by chance, there's a unfortunate
coincidence in meaning, it provides an explanation for the collision.
Are there statistics on how many hosts, for example, are named uranus
compared with the other planets?

A theme may not be a persuasive enough to overcome the counter-
meanings. Perhaps the classic example of this is Rolls Royce models:
Silver Phantom/Ghost/Wraith/Dawn/Cloud/Seraph/Spirit and the proposed
Mist, fortunately changed to Shadow.

Of course, arguing about the "stupidity" of code names is rather
futile in view of the fact that they fill the rest of the world.

Cheers,
David.