Re: Frustration over Debian naming (was: Re: Meltdown fix for wheezy-backports)

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 03:03:25PM -0600, David Wright wrote:
Which reason? The formal name of a release is the Release number.

And yet our sources.list files all contain

   deb <mirror> stretch main

and not

   deb <mirror> 9 main

And I had to look up "9" in that wiki page to even make this point.
The page has also only existed since 2013; prior to that, the
information was in the WP page for Debian proper (but not easily
accessible on Debian's own home page); and for a while in the middle it
was not nicely collated in any of those places. As with anything on
Wikipedia, there's no guarantee it will be there Tomorrow.

Some people always seem to remain confused. Perhaps they have
the same confusion with timezones, for similar reasons.

Both are confusing. One, Debian has the possibility to improve.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland