Re: 404 trying to use stretch/backports

On Thu 11 Jan 2018 at 13:43:19 +0100, Sven Hoexter wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 07:35:59AM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> >    I don't know what the intent is in the existence of:
> > http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/m/mc/mc_4.8.19-1_i386.deb &
> > http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/m/mc/mc-data_4.8.19-1_all.deb
>
> Those are the packages available and build on unstable. This is a combined
> package pool.
>

> > especially with 4.8.20 having been released in November, but I downloaded
> > manually and installed 4.8.19 with dpkg, and it works just fine compared to the
> > broken 4.8.18 that had been installed.
>
> Well someone has to update the package for unstable first. Then it can migrate at
> some point to testing and then someone could build a backport base on this work.
> This does not happen on its own.
>
> Using the package from unstable can work but it can also break at any time due
> changes in libraries.

I can see what you are saying about mixing stable and unstable but don't
completely follow it in this case. Only mc and mc-data from unstable are
needed and the libraries on stable are sufficient to produce a working
mc. Are you suggesting these libraries could be subject to future change?

--
Brian.