Re: 404 trying to use stretch/backports

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 07:35:59AM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

Hi,

>    I don't know what the intent is in the existence of:
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/m/mc/mc_4.8.19-1_i386.deb &
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/m/mc/mc-data_4.8.19-1_all.deb

Those are the packages available and build on unstable. This is a combined
package pool.

> especially with 4.8.20 having been released in November, but I downloaded
> manually and installed 4.8.19 with dpkg, and it works just fine compared to the
> broken 4.8.18 that had been installed.

Well someone has to update the package for unstable first. Then it can migrate at
some point to testing and then someone could build a backport base on this work.
This does not happen on its own.

Using the package from unstable can work but it can also break at any time due
changes in libraries.

Cheers,
Sven