Re: Debian 8 and Debian 9 Dual Boot

On 12/23/2017 11:36 PM, Felix Miata wrote:

Dan Norton composed on 2017-12-23 19:15 (UTC-0500):

Felix Miata wrote:
The menu inside the box is:
Debian GNU/Linux
Advanced options for Debian GNU/Linux
Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) (on /dev/mapper/vol1-root)
Advanced options for Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) (on /dev/mapper/vol1-root)
Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid (on /dev/mapper/vol3-root)
Advanced options for Debian GNU/Linux buster/sid (on /dev/mapper/vol3-root)
The first two boot stretch, so they will eventually have "9 (stretch)
(on /dev/mapper/vol2-root)" appended, once the timeout is under control.
Based on what I see and what you say, it seems you are modifying the timeout for
Stretch (/etc/default/grub on vol2), but actually booting Stretch from Jessie's
grub.cfg (/etc/default/grub on vol1), which remains configured to 3 seconds.

That seems reasonable, but I've tried modifying the timeout after booting each of the installations. The timeout remains immutable. It's as if update-grub is not using what is in grub.d for timeout value. But where does 3s come from?

Is there more than one directory in /boot/efi/EFI/? If not, it's likely time for
you to explore using /etc/default/grub's GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR= option. I need to
(only one Debian, but 3 openSUSEs installed), but have been putting it off,
using Stretch's menu for all.

There is only onedirectory in /boot/efi/EFI/ :

root@BR914:/# ls -la /boot/efi/EFI
total 12
drwx------ 3 root root 4096 Dec  4 22:11 .
drwx------ 3 root root 4096 Dec 31  1969 ..
drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Dec  4 22:11 debian

How would GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=help the timeout= problem? OTOH, to change the wording of menu entries, I can edit grub.d files.