Re: Debian 8 and Debian 9 Dual Boot

On 12/21/2017 02:54 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
Dan Norton composed on 2017-12-21 14:07 (UTC-0500):

2. You will make extra work for yourself by having a common swap
partition for all installations. With the common swap, each new
installation gave rise to these messages:
    a. "gave up waiting for suspend/resume device"
    b. "a start job is running for dev-disk-by\..."
    c. "failed to connect to lvmetad"
STW can reveal ways to avoid these messages, but they are a PITA and
avoidable by each volume group having its own swap.
Except with a first Linux installation, I tell the partitioner not to use swap,
then add it by LABEL to fstab after installing. The problem is that the
installer insists that the swap partition needs to be formatted, destroying the
validity of swap's UUID in the fstabs of the previous installations.

There are still mysteries I have not solved. For some reason, GRUB has
decided that after POST, you only need 3 seconds to choose which
installation to boot. GRUB has resisted my efforts to change that
timeout value. I've been able to change the boot order in NVRAM, but not
the timeout.
efibootmgr -t ##

Yes, it seems like that should work, but currently:

# efibootmgr
BootCurrent: 0000
Timeout: 11 seconds  # ... and the actual timeout is 3
BootOrder: 0003,0001,0000,0002,0006,0004,0005
Boot0000* debian
Boot0001* USB Floppy/CD
Boot0002* USB Hard Drive
Boot0003* ATAPI CD-ROM Drive
Boot0004* Unknown Device
Boot0005* USB Floppy/CD
Boot0006* Hard Drive

Doing it again (See definition of insanity [1])
# efibootmgr -t 12
BootCurrent: 0000
Timeout: 12 seconds
BootOrder: 0003,0001,0000,0002,0006,0004,0005
Boot0000* debian
Boot0001* USB Floppy/CD
Boot0002* USB Hard Drive
Boot0003* ATAPI CD-ROM Drive
Boot0004* Unknown Device
Boot0005* USB Floppy/CD
Boot0006* Hard Drive

Well, that changed it from 3 to 4 (!?). Strange.

[1] "Insanity is doing the same thing over & over again and expecting a different result." - Einstein