Re: Debian 8 and Debian 9 Dual Boot

Dan Norton composed on 2017-12-23 15:12 (UTC-0500):

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> [...]
>> It's not so easy to figure out when POST is over with UEFI. Here, it seems
>> efibootmgr -t provides extra delay beyond what the BIOS defines for you to make
>> a selection from its own boot device selection menu, which requires an F12
>> keystroke here to see.

>> The timeout after appearance of Grub's menu is supposed to be controlled by
>> /etc/default/grub's GRUB_TIMEOUT=, which shows up here in Stretch's grub.cfg
>> first on line 86, a few lines before "### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###".

> Edited /etc/default/grub to change GRUB_TIMEOUT to 11:
> root@BR914:/etc/default# nano grub

> Observed "If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards..." :
> root@BR914:/etc/default# update-grub
> Generating grub configuration file ...
> Found background image: /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png
> Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-amd64
> Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64
> Found Debian GNU/Linux (9.3) on /dev/mapper/vol2-root
> Found Debian GNU/Linux (buster/sid) on /dev/mapper/vol3-root
> done

> Looking at /boot/grub/grub.cfg, timeout is mentioned as follows:
> if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ] ; then
>    set timeout=-1
> else
>    if [ x$feature_timeout_style = xy ] ; then
>      set timeout_style=menu
>      set timeout=11
>    # Fallback normal timeout code in case the timeout_style feature is
>    # unavailable.
>    else
>      set timeout=11
>    fi
> fi

> ...but there is no effect. The timeout when rebooting is still 3
> seconds. I'm no shell expert so I don't know how to interpret the above.

What exactly is on the screen during those 3 seconds?

NAICT, the first "if" is setting the timeout to infinite if there is nothing
found that could be booted. The next "if" is using 11 if some sort of optional
timeout indication feature is enabled. Otherwise, 11 is used as Grub's own
standard (invisible) timeout "indication".

Do you still have only Jessie installed? If so, maybe its grub-efi is broken,
and going ahead and installing Stretch will replace Jessie's with a working one.
Stretch's is working as expected here. Jessie's I've never had occasion to use.

Another thought is that if there is but one valid Grub stanza, the timeout
setting might be ignored.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/