Re: Debian 8 and Debian 9 Dual Boot

On 11/29/2017 04:29 PM, Dan Norton wrote:

On 11/29/2017 03:57 PM, Joe wrote:
On Wed, 29 Nov 2017 15:37:46 -0500
Dan Norton <dnorton@mindspring.com> wrote:

On 11/29/2017 01:36 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
Dan Norton composed on 2017-11-29 13:07 (UTC-0500):
After POST, the following appears:
[...]
PXE-E53: No boot filename received
PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM.
ERROR:No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed.
It tries to PXE boot because it finds no bootable storage device:
there is no active partition, or no boot code in the MBR sector of
the device that you expect to boot. Installing Grub to a partition
leaves the MBR untouched, so it might not yet contain anything
other than partition data. The partitioner I use installs MBR code
automatically. The one in the installer may have needed to have
this step explicitly asked for. It can be added post-install
manually. 'man install-mbr'.
Isn't that because the primary is not mounted to /boot?
Mounting happens well after the point you have reached.
Nothing found for "man install-mbr" but web search yields "How to
Install Grub Onto Your MBR [1] which I will try.

[1] http://www.av8n.com/computer/htm/grub-reinstall.htm

You've said that you can boot your system with the aid of a boot
utility disc: that bypasses a lot of trouble, and you should be able to
go directly to step 8 from within your working system. It's harder to
do if you have to work from a different environment.

Good. Actually, I started the procedure on my booted jessie system but stopped and booted the live cd when I re-read [1].
As I said, I believe you should also do update-grub, which will
certainly do no harm. You don't yet know that grub is configured with
the necessary information for an unaided boot.

I ran update-grub recently but will be glad to do it again.

dan@debian8:~$ sudo update-grub
[sudo] password for dan:
Generating grub configuration file ...
Found background image: /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-grub.png
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.16.0-4-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.16.0-4-amd64
done