Re: Debian 8 and Debian 9 Dual Boot

On 11/29/2017 03:37 PM, Dan Norton wrote:

On 11/29/2017 01:36 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
Dan Norton composed on 2017-11-29 13:07 (UTC-0500):
After POST, the following appears:
[...]
PXE-E53: No boot filename received
PXE-MOF: Exiting PXE ROM.
ERROR:No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed.
It tries to PXE boot because it finds no bootable storage device: there is no active partition, or no boot code in the MBR sector of the device that you expect to boot. Installing Grub to a partition leaves the MBR untouched, so it might not yet contain anything other than partition data. The partitioner I use installs MBR code automatically. The one in the installer may have needed to have this step explicitly asked for. It can be added post-install manually. 'man
install-mbr'.

Isn't that because the primary is not mounted to /boot?
Mounting happens well after the point you have reached.

Nothing found for "man install-mbr" but web search yields "How to Install Grub Onto Your MBR [1] which I will try.

[1] http://www.av8n.com/computer/htm/grub-reinstall.htm

Well that won't fly. Booted Debian-Live 8.8.0 amd64 Standard and reached Step 8 in section 1.1 of [1] which called for "grub-install --root-directory=/x $drive" but grub-install is not found.