Re: Firefox freezes

On 11/29/17, bw <bwtnguy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Nov 2017, Maureen L Thomas wrote:
>
>> Once again I am having problems with firefox.  Every time I do a search
>> on
>> anything the damn thing freezes and I have to shut it down by force.  If I
>> try
>> to restore it without getting rid of all three tabs it locks again and
>> again
>> and again.  I have the latest upgrade from Debian for Firefox and am
>> using
>> Debian 9.  What can I do to fix this problem please?
>> Maureen
>>

> It's hard to say.  Have you tried to start it from terminal and see what
> error messages pop up, if any?  have you tried the safe-mode option?  It
> is described in man firefox-esr on my system.  Have you installed or
> upgraded any extensions or plugins, what are they, and did you do that
> through the debian repo, or did you install/upgrade something through the
> browser?

That reminded me about how flashplayer used to be notorious for
constant problems if it's not set up right.

Also just read about crytocurrency/data mining in the last few days,
too. Can't remember where I saw it (already), but the gist was that it
can skyrocket one's resource usage in a heartbeat. One or more
browsers is working on ways to take control of it, either cherry pick
what can run or block completely.

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey