Re: No Sound - Puzzle

Thomas George wrote:

> default_driver=alsa
>
> quiet
>
> Is there another setting other than quiet? But this can't be the
> problem. ogg123 file.ogg plays file when the line out cable is connected
> to the onboard sound card.

no this "quite" is related to output information from the process - like
debugging or verbosity.

the sound is managed by the driver
        app -> sound library (alsa) -> driver (kernel) -> hardware

pulse sits between app and alsa - if you see indication in pulseaudio but no
sound, then the stream is not routed properly to the speaker - might be a
driver problem.
What you can do is check the kernel Documentation for that driver/sound card
you have.

Here some examples in linux-4.12.10/Documentation/sound/cards/
audigy-mixer.rst    bt87x.rst           emu10k1-jack.rst    img-spdif-in.rst
joystick.rst        mixart.rst          serial-u16550.rst
audiophile-usb.rst  cmipci.rst          hdspm.rst           index.rst
maya44.rst          sb-live-mixer.rst   via82xx-mixer.rst

$ lspci  | grep Audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family
High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)

cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [PCH            ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
                      HDA Intel PCH at 0xfe420000 irq 30
 1 [Webcam         ]: USB-Audio - Philips SPC 1030NC Webcam
                      Philips CE Philips SPC 1030NC Webcam at
usb-0000:00:1a.0-1.4, high speed

$ cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec
Codec: Conexant CX20642
Codec: Intel CougarPoint HDMI

linux-4.12.10/Documentation/sound$ grep Conexant -r .
./alsa-configuration.rst:Module for Conexant Riptide chip
./hd-audio/models.rst:Conexant 5045
./hd-audio/models.rst:Conexant 5047
./hd-audio/models.rst:Conexant 5051
./hd-audio/models.rst:Conexant 5066
./hd-audio/controls.rst:Conexant codecs

The other approach would be - identify your codec and google linux+codec

it might be you need to provide some additional parameter to the kernel
driver. I recall one the HDMI was listed first and thus output went to HDMI
and not the standard sound system

regards