Re: KVM PCI Passthrough NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti error code 43

Dear Alexander,

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 13:09:38 +0500
"Alexander V. Makartsev" <avbetev@gmail.com> wrote:

> How many video adapters in your host machine? In BIOS you have to
> select video adapter to be initialized first (ex. IGFX). It has to be
> other than GTX1080, and you can't use 1080 in your host OS if you
> want it to be passed through to guest OS. This is the reason why you
> need vfio stub drivers, to protect 1080 from host OS interference.

On the host machine I have the integrated graphics and the additional
NVidia card.

Not sure how to initialize it first. But I have chosen IGFX to be the
default.
The BIOS is shown on the monitor attached to the IGFX.
In the first setting I disabled the NVidia card I believe. Now it is
activated but not the primary card.

Thank you a lot for the explanations. I have a monitor attached to the
GTX1080, but only because I will want to use it in the guest.

I will check the configuration of the host: No NVidia driver,
blacklisted nouveau, vfio stub, and all of the virsh settings.
Also I will try a clean install of the host system and recreate the
guest(s).

What I just did is applying the virsh edit vendor_id and hidden state
settings:
/etc/libvirt/qemu/win10.xml: https://pastebin.com/7Rewq21Y

Then I started the Windows 10 guest and after checking that it did not
help, removed the GeFore card and the PCI devices in the Windows "device
drivers" screen. I then shut down the guest, removed and readded the
PCI devices in virt-manager and restarted the guest, made Windows
reinstall the driver, rebooted the guest again and still find the
error 43.

What makes me wonder: You write that the deliberate disabling of the
card is only implemented in the Windows version of the driver. But I
do find the same error using a Debian 9 guests.

Do you have any other ideas what I could try?

Thanks and best regards,
Ramon