Re: X crashes when closing one of two running X sessions

On 10/23/2017 10:40 PM, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 2:51 PM, The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:
On 2017-10-23 at 16:21, Robert Arkiletian wrote:

Just tried this on a different box running Fedora 25 (64) and it
works perfectly, no problem. So I think this is a Debian bug.
Although on Fedora I'm not starting the first X session with startx,
I can start another X session on tty2 with startx and switch to tty3,
log in and log out without issue.

Per the description in bug 791342 (linked to from 858073 as being the
same issue), "[s]tarting the server on tty[2-6] does not generally
appear to lead to the behaviour described above". So I don't think this
is enough of a test to conclude that Fedora does not exhibit the same
behaviour.

My mistake. Confirmed the same behavior on the Debian Stretch box. If
I don't use tty1 everything is fine. I can use tty2 (running X) and
tty3 logging in and out switching back and forth, no issues. What an
odd bug. Well at least I have a workaround now. I will simply avoid
using tty1.

When I'm trying to work in ttys I avoid tty1 the system will output data there, seems to be logging stuff, firewall, etc., so I use tty2, etc. and then I'm not bothered by the system background noise.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Jessie - KDE 4.14.2 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda5
Registered Linux User #380263