Re: X crashes when closing one of two running X sessions

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 2:51 PM, The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On 2017-10-23 at 16:21, Robert Arkiletian wrote:
>
>> Just tried this on a different box running Fedora 25 (64) and it
>> works perfectly, no problem. So I think this is a Debian bug.
>> Although on Fedora I'm not starting the first X session with startx,
>> I can start another X session on tty2 with startx and switch to tty3,
>> log in and log out without issue.
>
> Per the description in bug 791342 (linked to from 858073 as being the
> same issue), "[s]tarting the server on tty[2-6] does not generally
> appear to lead to the behaviour described above". So I don't think this
> is enough of a test to conclude that Fedora does not exhibit the same
> behaviour.

My mistake. Confirmed the same behavior on the Debian Stretch box. If
I don't use tty1 everything is fine. I can use tty2 (running X) and
tty3 logging in and out switching back and forth, no issues. What an
odd bug. Well at least I have a workaround now. I will simply avoid
using tty1.

Update: Looked further into the thread with Brian and August from 2015
and it seems like the clear_console command (in .bash_logout) is at
fault. So I commented out clear_console in .bash_logout and everything
works great. No issues even on tty1. clear_console man page says

clear_console clears your console if this is possible.  It looks in the
       environment for the terminal type and then in the terminfo database  to
       figure  out  how  to  clear  the  screen.  To clear the buffer, it then
       changes the foreground virtual terminal to another  terminal  and  then
       back to the original terminal.

The log files I posted earlier in this thread indicate the crash was
due to "Permission denied". It makes sense that the bug did not
manifest itself while logging in and out of the root account as
permission was not a factor in "changes the foreground virtual
terminal to another  terminal  and  then back to the original
terminal". My guess is clear_console has tty1 hard coded in.  I notice
Matthias K. is the maintainer of the bash package (which has
clear_console) for Debian.  I wonder if he might consider poking
upstream devs of clear_console about this issue?