Re: 9.1.0 : netinst : installs well, but useless after firstboot

On Sat 07 Oct 2017 at 12:04:10 +0100, Brian wrote:

> On Sat 07 Oct 2017 at 06:13:44 -0400, Henning Follmann wrote:
>
> > Any way what method you are using it depends on wpa_supplicant.
> > The config file can have multiple network definitions in it.
> > What differs is how you add a new stanza into that file and where the file
> > is located.
>
> Thank you for the expansion.
>
> I own up to not even glancing at the page given by the link; put it down
> to the lateness of the hour! Having taken a look at its content (and
> other pages elsewhere) the ideas seem worth pursuing for an hour or two
> today. But there will have to be a GUI way of editing the wpa_supplicant
> file, otherwise the troops here will rebel. wpagui is a user interface
> for wpa_supplicant so it should be possible to hook it in.

You know how it is. You start to go through something and gradually
realise you had done a review of the capabilities of ifupdown, connman
and systemd-networkd two or three years ago! The conclusion being to
keep ifupdown and guessnet on the laptop because they are generally
reliable and it is too much work to change.

Either of the other two would also be suitable but I'd go for connman
as a preference. Actually, systemd-networkd shares code with connman.
How systemd-networkd sees itself:

 https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2013-November/014146.html

 > To clarify this: systemd-networkd is supposed to cover the initrd,
 > container, server and (some) embedded usecases. However, use NM or
 > connman for the interactive stuff (like wlans and suchlike) you need
 > on laptops/desktops and mobile.

ifupdown and wikd don't really get a look-in.

--
Brian.