Re: 9.1.0 : netinst : installs well, but useless after firstboot

On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 02:07:27PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> On Fri 06 Oct 2017 at 17:41:23 +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:

> > >What DE did you install from the installer?
> >
> > 'de'? desktop environment!
> > i did not install any graphical system, i prefer to work at the text
> > console, that's why i am on debian, else would have been on ubuntu.
>
> Not installing a DE is why connectivity did not exist. The outcome is by
> design but the reason for it it has never really been given. I think the
> idea is that, having not selected to install network-manager you
> definitely do not want what the installer has produced and desire to set
> up your wireless network with your chosen software. Which is precisely
> what you are doing now :). Please see the bug list for netcfg.
>
> For future reference: you can avoid being in the situation you have now
> by
>
> 1. preseeding with netcfg/target_network_config=ifupdown, or
> 2. making a note of the contents of the installer's interfaces file in
>    /etc/network/ *before* finishing the installation.
>
> As for your present issue:
>
>  allow-hotplug wlo1
>  iface wlo1 inet dhcp
> 	wpa-ssid <station>
> 	wpa-psk <passphrase>
>
> in /e/n/i should work.

tried it, no effect, on close inspection of the boot-up process,
the problem seems to be with the wifi hardware on my laptop.
it takes more time to initialize and hence when "allow-hotplug"
based commands are executed it isn't ready for work.

after letting the system boot-up, i have to wait a few seconds
before i can issue "ifup wlo1" and that too takes unusually
long to complete.

thanks nevertheless. :)

~mayuresh