Re: 9.1.0 : netinst : installs well, but useless after firstboot

On Fri 06 Oct 2017 at 16:35:53 (+0100), Brian wrote:
> On Fri 06 Oct 2017 at 20:25:51 +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 02:07:27PM +0100, Brian wrote:
> > >
> > > As for your present issue:
> > >
> > >  allow-hotplug wlo1
> > >  iface wlo1 inet dhcp
> > > 	wpa-ssid <station>
> > > 	wpa-psk <passphrase>
> > >
> > > in /e/n/i should work.
> >
> > tried it, no effect, on close inspection of the boot-up process,
> > the problem seems to be with the wifi hardware on my laptop.
> > it takes more time to initialize and hence when "allow-hotplug"
> > based commands are executed it isn't ready for work.
>
> I've not usually encountered any problem with this stanza. I'm also
> fairly sure it is what a preseeded installer gives you. You could
> try "auto", I suppose.
>
> > after letting the system boot-up, i have to wait a few seconds
> > before i can issue "ifup wlo1" and that too takes unusually
> > long to complete.
>
> It could be dhcp taking its time. Use 'ifup -v wlo1' to find out.

My own experience is that ifup/down works fine with ethernet
but is hopeless with wifi because there's nothing to restart
it if/when the signal drops out.

So I install wicd-curses which has a daemon to monitor the service
and restart it as necessary. You don't have to be root to run it
either.

However, you would need to remove/comment out the   iface wlo1
stanza from /e/n/i because its presence would prevent wicd from
managing that interface.

Remember to start with P in wicd-curses to check that it knows
to look for wlo1 and not wlan0.

(Please correct any misconceptions I might have.)

Cheers,
David.