Re: 9.1.0 : netinst : installs well, but useless after firstboot

On Sat 07 Oct 2017 at 06:13:44 -0400, Henning Follmann wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 11:49:01PM +0100, Brian wrote:

> > > Sorry to interrupt here.
> > > In case of no NM and the /e/n/i issues might I suggest systemd-networkd?
> > > It is really reliable in bringing up any connection.
> >
> > You certainly can suggest it. I am sure it would fit the bill; as would
> > connman. (The Debian approach of leaving a user with no connectivity
> > after an installation which requires it must be a first in Linux, so
> > anything which restores connectivity cannot be bad).
> >
> > > There is a fairly good example how to do it here:
> > > https://sunweavers.net/blog/node/34
> > >
> > > It is definitely a better setup than /e/n/i.
> >
> > Does it handle wireless roaming? ifupdown + wpa_supplicant does.
>
> Any way what method you are using it depends on wpa_supplicant.
> The config file can have multiple network definitions in it.
> What differs is how you add a new stanza into that file and where the file
> is located.

Thank you for the expansion.

I own up to not even glancing at the page given by the link; put it down
to the lateness of the hour! Having taken a look at its content (and
other pages elsewhere) the ideas seem worth pursuing for an hour or two
today. But there will have to be a GUI way of editing the wpa_supplicant
file, otherwise the troops here will rebel. wpagui is a user interface
for wpa_supplicant so it should be possible to hook it in.

--
Brian.