Re: x : keyboard not working

On Sat, Oct 07, 2017 at 09:27:50AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> Gene: I agree: locate is really cool.
>
> Popping up your favorite editor window for each hit is left as an exercise
> for the reader ;-)

Man, some years back, after years of marketing and business meetings,
I was in a sub-sub-sub-sub-directory containing may be half a dozen
PDF files, but there was a subdirectory which had a couple I wanted
open too, so I mosies right along with my fabulous Unix commands and
does something like this:

 find ./ -name '*pdf' | xargs -n 1 -I "{}" eval evince "{}" \&

but, unfortunately, as in, very very unfortunately, I was so fast at
typing and didn't double check and I wrote the line like so:

 find / -name '*pdf' | xargs -n 1 -I "{}" eval evince "{}" \&

(Notice the (sadly, as in, very sadly) missing period before the
 slash!)

Welp, ye olde Pentium 90 with 128Megabytes (‼‼!! - no such thing as
ISO standard Mibibytes in those days, it was all completely diffident
you see), and dang! did that computer crawl, and slow down, and
basically came to a halt after a while as X window after X window
steadily, slowly, then really slowly, opened up, one after another
(now listen all you whippasnapperas, no laughing matter ok, we didn't
have kernel mode setting, process groups and CPU affinities - just
getting enough affinity between the graphics card and the mother
bored was challenge enough I tells ya!)

Well I had to reboot that computer with cackling hyenas in the
background saying things like “well you should know not to launch
an indefinite number of processes in the background”.