Re: 9.1.0 : netinst : installs well, but useless after firstboot

On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 06:03:24PM +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 06, 2017 at 12:10:09PM +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:

> > > Install a firmware for your wifi perhaps? If you have Intel, this
> > > could be the package required:
> > >
> > > firmware-iwlwifi
> > >
> > > Unfortunately this may mean manually downloading the .deb file,
> > > transferring it via sneakernet (or saving to a known hdd location)
> > > and using a command like:
> > >
> > > dpkg --install firmware-iwlwifi....deb
> >
> > the firmware is already installed during installation process.
>
> Are you sure? You may be right - but double check to make sure...

yes, i am very sure. double checked. the interface wlo1 exists.

there's a procedure mentioned in the wiki which shows how to setup
wifi via wpa_supplicant through modifications to the file;
/etc/network/interfaces

it's now working, but not automatically coming up, i still have to
manually issue 'ifup wlo1' in spite of having mentioned "auto" in
the configuration file for the "wlo1" interface.
off to check on that now, but if someone has any advice, please do
share, it would be most welcome. :)

it kind-a sucks that the debian installer accepts all the wifi
parameters, activates the network only during installation and
then does not include that information for post install work.
atleast provide an option during the installation to accept the
parameters and have them persist after the installation is done.

thanks,

~mayuresh