Re: getting mail from Exchange/Outlook

On 2017-09-14 at 12:34, David Wright wrote:

> On Thu 14 Sep 2017 at 19:25:15 (+0300), Reco wrote:

>>> What, by emailing it somewhere else?
>>
>> Nah, by setting up MDA in such a way that every user has two
>> mailboxes. Only one of them is exposed to the user via POP or
>> IMAP. hardlinking files in maildir also does the trick.
>
> Oh, I misunderstood you. For me, that's not a backup. A hardlink is
> in the same filesystem; I'm talking at least a different box. My mail
> server happens to be on a different continent.

I read the "for backup purposes" as being a euphemism, implying that the
second copy was being kept for nefarious purposes, including so that it
could be reviewed (including by third parties) even if the user had
deleted the "visible" copy.

(Also, I have entire rants about how *anything that you can fall back to
if the main instance fails*, no matter how limited the circumstances in
which you can do so are, qualifies for the literal meaning of the noun
"backup"; the insistence that, e.g., "RAID is not backup" - while
certainly based on good advice from a practical perspective - rubs me
the wrong way linguistically, and your "that's not a backup" does the
same thing to a lesser extent. But exploring that further would be a
wildly different topic.)

--
   The Wanderer