Re: getting mail from Exchange/Outlook

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 11:15:17AM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> On Thu 14 Sep 2017 at 18:55:34 (+0300), Reco wrote:
> > 	Hi.

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Oh, I see. So if you can just get your emails in and out of the ISP's
> > > system within three minutes, this will catch the snoopers napping/
> > > on coffee break/gossiping round the water cooler/however the
> > > agency's monitors take their breaks. Do you have a similar strategy
> > > for crossing toll bridges? Like climbing the piers and then sprinting
> > > across, so avoiding the approaches where those pesky toll booths
> > > are located.
> >
> > While it's a legitimate point, the better one would be the following:
> >
> > How can you be sure that deleting mail at your ISP server actually
> > deletes it?
>
> If the agencies are going to snoop at the obvious point, the point of
> entry to the ISP, then it makes no difference how long the ISP keeps
> information after you think it's been deleted. (Once you've paid the
> toll, it doesn't matter to them whether you sprint to the other side
> of the bridge or push a pea across it with your nose: they've already
> got your money.)

True. But it's more convenient to 'persuade' ISP to store e-mails for
them. This way ISP filters spam, not the man-in-the-middle.
Saves taxpayer money by reducing storage costs and all such.

> > It's very easy to setup mail delivery in such way that every e-mail is
> > stored in two different places, first one for the users' IMAP, and
> > second one is for … backup purposes, so to speak.
>
> What, by emailing it somewhere else?

Nah, by setting up MDA in such a way that every user has two mailboxes.
Only one of them is exposed to the user via POP or IMAP.
hardlinking files in maildir also does the trick.

Reco