Re: getting mail from Exchange/Outlook

On Thursday 14 September 2017 08:18:03 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 12:59:04PM +0100, Darac Marjal wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > With IMAP, the expectation is that your MUA is just a viewer of
> > email. The mail is stored elsewhere and you want to
> > read/reply/manage it without worrying about storing it.
>
> [...]
>
> While in principle you are absolutely right, I've found out
> that IMAP in combination with fetchmail works wonderfully as
> a "better POP3". IDLE alone is worth it, but also much better
> error recovery etc.
>
> Cheers
> -- tomás

Begin rant:

The problem I have with that is the exposure. With my ISP's dovecot setup
serving as both imap access and pop3, which I am using via fetchmail, is
that because a huge fraction of their clients use imap, they have
disabled fetchmails ability to dele the successfully downloaded message.
THis is based on the premise, probably correct, that the average M$ user
hasn't a clue and leaves the defaults set in OE or whatever.

Since they without doubt have a backdoor for the snooping agencies, this
exposes my mail to these people for 1000's of times longer (If I do it
once a week for instance) compared to fetchmail pulling and deleting it
every 3 minutes.  Its also a cast iron bitch to maintain, requiring me
to log into the webmail portal, move the old mail to the trash 100 at a
time, then finally discover by clicking on the trash that the 29000
messages I just deleted are in the trash folder and still readable, and
it takes their machines about 5 minutes and several more clicks on the
ok button popup to delete them too. I hadn't done that since the end of
may, so all that tomfoolery took about an hour and a half in the night
last night. :(

However, their spam filtering is truly excellent.

So my question to the fetchmail list last night was how to I convert the
dele into to a move this msg to trash, and when its done with the
current login, empty the trash.  I'll probably get ignored based on
people in hell wanting ice water. :)

I have, live, a 5 machine home network here, and IMO here is where imap
belongs, so I could do my email from any of these machines by pulling
from their server with fetchmail, and making it available to any of
these machines by imaping it. But I have been told, repeatedly, that
such an interfaceing between the maildir/mailfile filtered incoming
pop3'd messages database that kmail maintains and a dovecot local server
working from that email corpus is not possible. TBT, methinks I am being
lied to. It ought to be a packaged script, apt installable, that needs
only the local networks address configured to make it usefull.  Not all
local networks are on 192.168.0.0/24.

/rant:

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)