Re: Recommended editor for novice programmers?

On Sat, 2 Sep 2017 20:46:33 -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

>I do occasionally use vi (when
>I'm stuck with no other editor), but I wouldn't wish either on a novice
>programmer.  Further, I don't think they have any advantage over a good GUI
>editor with features like a scripting language, keyboard macros, outlining /
>folding, syntax highlighting, and such.

The vi (visual interface) editor was used by AT&T (the developers of
Unix under government contract) service personnel to administrate the
US telephone network over dial-up connections.  As there was no mouse
support in those early days, vi was designed to be used entirely from
the keyboard, a feature touch-typists will appreciate because it
doesn't require reaching for a mouse and abandoning the home-row hand
positions.

With regard to the missing features being lamented above:
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-vim-script-1/index.html
http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2009/01/vi-and-vim-macro-tutorial-how-to-record-and-play/
https://majutsushi.github.io/tagbar/

For syntax highlighting, simply write: "Esc:syntax on" to activate the
builtin.