Re: Recommended editor for novice programmers?

I guess we're into editor religion--have we been trolled?  But ...

On Saturday, September 02, 2017 09:17:01 PM Dejan Jocic wrote:
> You'll
> get frustrated every time you have to reach for the mouse or move your
> cursor letter by letter with the arrow keys.

If the last time you used a GUI editor you had to use the mouse to move more
than a letter at a time, I would guess it's been a while since you tried one.
In most of the editors I've used, <ctrl><[left or right] arrow> moves a word
at a time, <ctrl><[left or right] arrow> moves further (like a line or a
"paragraph".

I don't find much use for anything more than that, but, iirc, some editors have
additional such navigation (and editing, e.g., delete a word, line,
paragagraph) shortcuts.

> You'll notice every time a
> Vim feature would save you time and tedium, and you'll wish the editor
> you're actually using had it. You'll wish the editor was Vim. You'll
> wish everything was Vim. You'll wish this imperfect world we live in
> could somehow become just a little bit more graceful, a little bit more
> elegant, by adopting modal text editing as a common paradigm. You'll
> wish desperately that this world was that better one. But it isn't. It
> isn't. And it never will be.:wq"
>
> Best downside of Emacs would be that once you really start working in
> it, you can start living in it. Best upside of Emacs is that it has evil
> mode.

Yes, I can see the advantage of sort of living in an editor.  I don't do much
programming these days, but I do write and respond to emails and write and
modify / add comments to web pages.  It would be nice to do all of that within
the same editor, but in which I also saw the pictures and the layout as
displayed on the web page.  I don't think anyone (including Emacs) is there
yet.