Re: Systemd: Error when replacing postfix LSB init with postfix.service on Debian 8 (jessie)

Am 2017-08-21 11:52, schrieb Tom Browder:
On Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 02:36 Sven Hartge <sven@svenhartge.de> wrote:
Question: Why do you want to manually replace the init-script from
postfix in Jessie with a systemd.unit? What do you want to
accomplish by
doing so (other than creating a possible broken system)?

I thought I needed to be able to create service files since the init.d
system is going away.

Maybe in 20 years or so, but not in the foreseeable future. And
especially not during the lifetime of a Debian release. There
will be no point release or security update for Jessie that will
drop support for init scripts. Same goes for Stretch. So even
_if_ Debian should decide to drop init script support in Debian
10 (Buster) - which won't happen, not even systemd upstream has
dropped init script support yet, and they're much less
conservative than Debian when it comes to these things  - you'd
still be able to use Stretch for 5 years before support runs
out. And as I said: support is not going to go away anytime
soon.

Now, that doesn't mean that you should still write _new_ init
scripts for custom services if you're going to use systemd
anyway. There it will be a good idea to learn how to do that
with native systemd service units.

But I don't think it's a productive use of your time to go
around and start replacing all init scripts that are currently
present on your system by systemd services. Those that are
included with Debian are going to be taken care of by the
maintainers in Debian in subsequent releases. And any old
custom scripts that you still use I'd transition whenever you
need to change something in them anyway.

Postfix seems simple enough that its service file would also be
simple.

Well, other than the fact that postfix isn't simple (as you've
noticed), the main issue here is that Debian 9 comes with Postfix
3, while Debian 8 comes with Postfix 2. Furthermore the Postfix
packaging in Debian 9 has started to make use of advanced systemd
features for their own units, so it's not just a port of a simple
init script, but something rather more complicated. You had the
misfortune of picking one of the worst examples here.

Regards,
Christian