Re: Systemd: Error when replacing postfix LSB init with postfix.service on Debian 8 (jessie)

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard-newsgroups@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Sven Hartge:

>> systemd happily runs "legacy" LSB init scripts
>>
> ... except when its one-size-fits-all approach does not work, of
> course.  Example:

> * https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/386846/

> This is the problem with even Mewburn rc scripts (as I can attest from
> personal experience of writing replacements for an entire Mewburn rc
> system) let alone with van Smoorenburg rc scripts (which are far messier
> than Mewburn rc ones).  One size does not fit all.  One really is not
> going to ever get a backwards-compatibility mechanism that copes with
> all such scripts in the general case "happily".

The problem here lies in most cases in the init-scripts, which where
subtly broken to begin with.

I myself had written such init-scripts, which worked well enough while
used by SysV-init, but where technically not correct or did things in a
way that worked on my system but would fail (or create a race condition)
on other systems.

After the switch to systemd those scripts failed on numerous ways and I
cursed at first, but upon closer inspection I saw that they where broken
to begin with and the faulty behavior could also happen with SysV-init.
Fixing those scripts, or, where possible, converting them to native
systemd.units was then the correct solution.

Grüße,
Sven.

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.