Re: Virtualbox for stretch and buster not in repos

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 08:23:13PM -0500, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
> On 2017-08-18 17:56 -0700 Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com> wrote:
> >There's always VMWare or XEN neither of which I have any real experience
> >with, just read the manuals.  Never cared much for QEMU or kvm, but
> >that was years ago.  Maybe, they're easier to set up and use now..
>
> QEMU has been well documented for as long as I have cared to read
> its documentation, which is at least 5 years. Of course, anything but the
> most basic software is hard to “set up and use” if you do not read he
> manual.

Which TUI/GUI do you use?

I've been struggling to create a Host-only network. In VirtualBox
(and VMWare from version 1 or very early) I could basically just
tick a check box for "Host only network", and name one or more shared
folders.

I realise I probably have to mount the SAMBA horse again. And for
libre software, I'm willing to do all this.

My most recent trial was just pre-Debian 9.0 - I could not get the
dual monitor setup working properly (SPICE) - the mouse was the deal
breaker, just repeating over the first "virtual monitor"'s window,
and having traversed it the second time (left to right), would pop
out the RHS of the RHS virtual monitor window. Last night I had the
thought that perhaps I can just stretch the first window the full
width of my two monitors (and rotate my portrait monitor back to
landscape, so that I can use all my real estate.

I'm pretty sure I could get everything working properly yet - it just
takes the time, and in the mean time my life has caught up with me
again, and so again I'm VM-less since Virtualbox stopped working
quite a few months ago (forget why - it didn't get updated for a
while to match some debian kernel or something - this might have been
Oracle virtualbox, I don't recall sorry...)