Re: What tool can I use to make efficient incremental backups?

On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 03:24:35PM -0500, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
> On 17/08/17 13:31, Nicolas George wrote:

[...]

> > Please remember not to top-post.
>
> Both bottom posting and top posting each have their own disadvantages.

The general convention here is to only quote the relevant parts you
are replying to. For long threads this tends to work better.

Worst is, of course, mixing styles :-)

But in general, folks here tend to be tolerant. And yes, there's a
wiki entry encouraging "in-line" quoting [1].

> Bottom posting requires scrolling past text that may be not needed. Top
> posting puts the messages in reverse chronological order, which is not
> something bad by itself.

That's why you shoulnd't include the whole message, but snip the
relevant parts you are answering to. Believe me, for long threads,
this tends to work best.

> When I explicitly want a quote to reply to a specific parts of a
> message, I post after the parts, as in this message; I don't know if
> that would still be considered bottom posting.

Yes, exactly. If someone needs the unabridged original post, it's either
in her mailbox or in the archives.

>                                           When I am including the
> the quotation included for reference is of secondary importance, and
> therefore IMO should go after the *important* (new) information, that
> is, at the bottom.

But that's why the original message isn't needed as a copy in the
first place.

> Is there a rule, guideline or de-facto standard mandating either style
> in debian-user?

See [1] (there are also other hints on that page). Also [2] is a good
reference.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/FAQsFromDebianUser#What_is_top-posting_.28and_why_shouldn.27t_I_do_it.29.3F