Re: What tool can I use to make efficient incremental backups?

On 17/08/17 15:51, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 03:24:35PM -0500, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
> [...]
>
> But in general, folks here tend to be tolerant. And yes, there's a
> wiki entry encouraging "in-line" quoting [1].

Ah, I see. I rarely check the Debian Wiki because it is almost
abandoned. I have never found something useful there. For an example of
its state of abandonment see this fragment from that page:

“You really should see _Where is the foo package?_ above, but Debian
ships with Iceweasel, a rebranded Firefox.”

But a non-rebranded Firefox package is available in both Debian 8 and
Debian 9 (at least in the later, this is the default browse installed).

>> Bottom posting requires scrolling past text that may be not needed. Top
>> posting puts the messages in reverse chronological order, which is not
>> something bad by itself.
>
> That's why you shoulnd't include the whole message, but snip the
> relevant parts you are answering to. Believe me, for long threads,
> this tends to work best.

Yes, except when nobody deletes the nested quotations (I do when it is
appropriate). Eventually most of the text in the messages becomes quotes.

Also, it is a problem that one loses track of who do the nested (except
the topmost) quotations belong to. Do you have any recommendation about
that?

> Yes, exactly. If someone needs the unabridged original post, it's either
> in her mailbox or in the archives.

Right, but here is a note about your wording: The great majority of
people in debian-user are male (judging by the personal names), and
moreover “he” is established as the pronoun in English when the sex is
undetermined. The use of the female pronoun “she” is situations like
this is unjustified.

> See [1] (there are also other hints on that page). Also [2] is a good
> reference.

I had read [2] in the past, but I did not find anything about posting
styles.

-----

I already try to use the inline style when appropriate. I will avoid
quoting the previous message at all in the cases where formerly I would
have used top posting. This seems to be the only change necessary to
comply with your suggestions.

Regards.