Re: no non-free firmware on lapton, no Ethernet, related?

On 08/10/2017 07:11 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Dejan Jocic wrote:

Also, you mentioned that you need your
ethernet to work, these b43 packages are for
Broadcom wireless cards.
Yes, that is what I meant in my OP, the lacking
firmware for wireless should not influence
Ethernet not working, right?

Anyway, to manually install it seems
unnecessary complicated, so I think I'll try
the ISO with the non-free firmware included.

Whatever that you choose to do, do not forget
to check your /etc/apt/sources.list file and
add contrib and non-free after main wherever
it is needed, something like this:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ jessie main
contrib non-free
Yes, with Internet working it'll be no problems
setting up the system.

I am primarily a PCLOS user, and I also have Mint 17 LTS. I can tell you that it is very tricky to get a Broadcom wireless interface to work on PCLOS, but on the Mint system it works "out of the box" with no installation whatever. So what I can say is that you may need some extra software from Broadcom to get your Deb wireless to work, and it may be difficult. Or you could get Mint and probably have no trouble! This is not a free plug, just some information for you.

--doug