Re: no non-free firmware on lapton, no Ethernet, related?

On 10-08-17, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Dejan Jocic wrote:
>
> > Also, once, for reason unknown to me,
> > firmware from usb did not work, but installer
> > with firmware on it did. Could be that it was
> > USB fault, though not sure about it.
> > Was using that USB without problem
> > after that.
>
> What should I do with the installer?
>
> Do you mean this file:
>
>     https://packages.debian.org/jessie/all/firmware-b43-installer/download
>
> ?
>
> --
> underground experts united
> http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

No, I meant downloading installer with firmware included, like for
example this one for Jessie:

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware/archive/8.9.0+nonfree/multi-arch/iso-cd/

and this one for Stretch

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/images-including-firmware/9.1.0+nonfree/multi-arch/iso-cd/

Those are multiarch net install CDs that will work both for 32-bit and
64-bit PCs. You just need to choose your arch when you boot into
installer. But, if you do not want to download and use those and that
downloaded firmware did not work for you, you can download just those
packages that you need and install them with dpkg. But you will have to
do same with dependencies of those packages. Also, you mentioned that
you need your ethernet to work, these b43 packages are for Broadcom
wireless cards.

Whatever that you choose to do, do not forget to check your
/etc/apt/sources.list file and add contrib and non-free after main
wherever it is needed, something like this:

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free

Hope that this helps.