no non-free firmware on lapton, no Ethernet, related?

I installed a 32-bit Debian on an HP laptop the
other day, and during installation it said
non-free components were not installed as not
on the disc, for political reasons I suppose,
and then the network couldn't be set up
correctly despite the cable in place.

When done, I couldn't get Internet to work
despite doing as superuser 'dhclient eth0'
which is all it takes on my other Debian, which
I also installed from a DVD.

So I wonder, are the Ethernet problems related
to the missing firmware?

And if not, what seems to be the problem?

TIA

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573