Re: pesky and persistent "driverless" Brother MFC-9340CDW

On 08/04/2017 07:09 PM, Brian wrote:
On Fri 04 Aug 2017 at 14:14:42 -0400, Jape Person wrote:

On 08/04/2017 08:25 AM, Curt wrote:
On 2017-08-04, Jape Person <japers@comcast.net> wrote:
A few weeks ago a CUPS upgrade to our Debian testing systems
started showing a new driver for our Brother MFC-9340CDW in print
dialogs and in the CUPS printer list and in the
system-config-printer utility.

You'd think that was good news, but we've been unable to find any
way to make the queue for this "driverless" instance of the printer
function properly.

Just very quickly found this bug that seems to be relevant to your
case, Jape. As you didn't describe the "garbled" condition of your
printouts with the "driverless" driver I can't be sure but it seems a
fair guess.

I should have been more careful in describing the output. Eyes are old, and
thought the was garbling, but closer exam with magnifying glass reveals that
it's all just distorted -- as in compressed vertically.

I've met this before in another context with another bug. cups-browsed
is doing its best to give you something better than the printer's default
two lines of output. It cannot be perfect. The suggested workaround for
altering the PPD in #868360 is the way to go. Does it work for you?

I'm going to hold off on even trying that since I have a working solution. I know I should be more curious, but I'm an old cat, and you know what they say about that combination!

When I eventually do the firmware upgrade and re-enable detection of the driverless queue, I'll edit the PPD if it's still necessary. I saved the contents of that message thread for reference.

Again, thanks!

JP