Re: Where to install Flash Player?

On 8/3/17, Thomas George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
> I downloaded flash-player-ppapi_26.0.0.137-1_amd64.deb into /opt and
> used dpkg -i to install it.
>
> Is this the best way to do it? dpkg -s flash-player-ppapi responds ok
> installed but dpkg -p flash-player-ppapi doesn't recognize it.

I'm not sure what to tell you on the "where", but I tried your "dpkg
-p" on several packages I have installed. I got the same message each
time:

dpkg-query: package 'inkscape' is not available
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.

So I hit up "man dpkg". It shows "dpkg-query -p" as an option. Ahh, so
that's what the above might have been very subtly hinting. So I tried
that while not knowing what the original "dpkg -p" query returns. I'm
thinking this is probably not it:

dpkg-query: package 'inkscape' is not available
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.

And I also tried both as root = same-same so I don't know. For what it
may yield in solutions, I did see this under "dpkg-query" (under "man
dpkg"):

"-p, --print-avail package-name...
                  Display details about package-name, as found in
                  /var/lib/dpkg/available. Users of APT-based frontends
                  should use apt-cache show package-name instead."

Which I do personally use (that "apt-cache show package-name", I mean).

That's all on Buster :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey