Re: Apt-get Upgrade Problem in Stretch?

On 07/19/2017 07:05 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 13:47:27 -0700 Jimmy Johnson
<field.engineer@gmail.com> wrote:

On 07/19/2017 01:35 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 20:14:28 +0200 Dejan Jocic <jodejka@gmail.com>
wrote:

On 19-07-17, Patrick Bartek wrote:
Getting no results from apt-get upgrade after a week.  Can install
apps, etc., but get no security or stretch-update "fixes," etc.  I
find this unusual.  Did a mail list archive search for this, but
didn't find anything specific. Or did I miss the solution?

My Test Setup:

Stretch Stable 64-bit from net-install disk in Virtualbox 5.1 on a
Wheezy host.  Basic terminal install (no GUI), converted to
sysvinit (did not do anything to systemd files. Kept as
dependencies) and then added xorg, openbox window manager, etc.

Thanks for any feedback.

dpkg -s unattended-upgrades

Not installed either by me or the installer

If it is installed, it did your updates and security upgrades for
you. If you do not like it and want to do manual updates/upgrades,
do with root privs:

I have always done this manually since I first started using Debian
(Sarge).  And always will.  This is my personal machine.

sed -i 's/1/0/g' /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20auto-upgrades

For further reading and understanding:

https://wiki.debian.org/UnattendedUpgrades

Thanks for the reference.  I've been aware of this for a long time,
but chose not to use it.

My problem must be something else.

You also have packagekit and discover to deal with and who knows what
else. Stopping auto-install is not that difficult, but stopping
auto-update is a problem.

I think you've assumed some things incorrectly.  I did a basic terminal
only install with only basic system utilties, the last option on the
list.  No Desktop of any kind. No xserver.  Packagekit is not
installed.  Discover was as a dependency, but I didn't install it
explicitly. No auto-install or auto-update either. I converted to
sysvinit, but left systemd stuff as dependencies.  Later will install
xorg and openbox, etc. for my GUI. This is the same way I installed
Wheezy 5 years ago. And it works (and always has) fine.

FWIW, a few months ago, I installed Stretch RC2 the same way to test it
and everything worked including apt-get update, upgrade, etc.

So, something is wrong.  And I won't install it for real until I
discover what.

A few months ago, hum, I wonder what could have changed, let's see Stretch was in testing and not frozen. Yep, you're right it's broken.

Here's a link for you to check out: https://wiki.debian.org/UnattendedUpgrades Pay attention to the term "periodic", it's turned on by default and even if the config file is not there it's still turned on.

Have fun :)
--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu 14.04 LTS - KDE 4.13.3 - Intel G3220 - EXT4 at sda5
Registered Linux User #380263