Re: Apt-get Upgrade Problem in Stretch?

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 17:13:06 -0400 Fungi4All <fungilife@protonmail.com>
wrote:

> From: nemommxiv@gmail.com
>
> > On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 14:32:04 -0400 Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Did you do an apt-get update before your upgrade?
> > Yes. I"ve been using Debian since Sarge. So, this isn"t my first
> > rodeo. But this is the first time I"ve ever had this occur. I"m
> > beginning to think this might be an installer "problem" (I did a
> > terminal only mnimal install to begin with) even though sources.list
> > and configs look okay. I"m going to do a "default" install with the
> > LXDE desktop and see if I have the same problem.
>
> Since you insist without any evidence that apt-get does a better
> job, can you spare us the courtesy of telling us what mirror are
> you using? It is a possible explanation, since you "verified" that
> auto-upgrade is not installed (or was uninstalled after your
> installation maybe). And mirrors have failed in the past.

Where did I say apt-get was better?  I just use it instead of apt or
aptitude or synaptic.  Tried them all.  One not better than the other.
I just prefer it.

Right now, I'm using the ftp.us.debian.org mirror with main contrib and
non-free enabled. No third party repos at this time.  Have tried a
couple of others -- utexas and georgia tech -- but experienced errors
at times due to missing packages or site being down or unavailable.

I didn't uninistall auto-upgrade.  With the basic terminal only system
I build off of, it never gets installed in the first place.  Apparently,
such "auto" stuff is now a product of a desktop environment (or systemd?
). Something I abandoned 5 years ago in favor of a window manager and a
single panel.