Re: Can debian-live-9.0.1-i386-lxde be made to install from USB?

On 18.07.17 10:29, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 12:14:52AM +1000, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> > www.debian.org -> "CD/USB ISO images"
>
> That's where your eyes go?  That's interesting.

Only because this time it's an install from USB, and it's under the
heading "Getting Debian".

> My eyes skip the banner with its embedded "download me" link (because
> it's a friggin' BANNER, and decades of web use have taught me to skip
> all banners), and skip the small print sections, and drop me straight
> to the link that says "obtain a copy" <https://www.debian.org/distrib/>.

That's where I've gone in the past. Unfortunately the maze has grown new
rat runs - some with traps.

> On the second page, there's "Download an installation image" and
> "Try Debian live before installing".  Sadly, the instructions under
> the "Try Debian live" link claim that the live image's installer will
> work.  We all know that it doesn't, but the instructions continue to
> claim that it does.

This little maze-runner is learning too. Thanks for sharing the insiders
obstacle-avoidance info.

> > , then choose the only possibly
> > viable alternative to CD/DVD, since there's no CD/DVD on the new host.
>
> You also skipped the "Network install" link right above your "CD/USB
> ISO images" link.  I wonder why.

The host isn't yet connected to the network. There's no more room on the
desk, and I don't have a spare long ethernet cable, remiss though that
is.

> On the page you went to, there are two yellow lightbulb boxes, one saying
> to use "Network Install" instead, and the second saying "all CD/DVD images
> can be used on a USB stick too".
>
> Somehow you skipped over those as well.

"friggin' BANNER"

Erik