Re: Can debian-live-9.0.1-i386-lxde be made to install from USB?

Hi,

Erik Christiansen wrote:
> after setting
> geographic location and keyboard, the debian 9 install process threw up
> a "Detect and mount CD-ROM" screen, insisting on a CD with suitable
> install content. It seemed quite unaware that it is installing from USB.

Well, that's much deeper in the live-cd content than the fundamental ability
to boot from USB stick.

You will probably have to discuss this at
  debian-live@lists.debian.org
(You are invited to Cc me, as i'm the one who sent you there.)

On the other hand, if you just want to _install_ Debian rather than to
run it as "live" system, then you should for now use one of the
installation ISOs.
E.g. the small one which is just enough to fetch more packages from the
internet:

  https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/debian-9.0.0-i386-netinst.iso

or the DVD sized one with a more complete system:

  https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-dvd/debian-9.0.0-i386-DVD-1.iso

Installation attempts from live-cd ISOs caused lots of complaints.
(It is unclear how many attempts succeeded.)

> > [isohybrid]
> Ah, they're what's described as a .img on other sites, then.

About all GNU/Linux distro ISOs nowadays have the isohybrid capability
and are still called ".iso", because that's what they are: ISO 9660
filesystems with boot equipment where the ISO 9660 specs and their add-ons
prescribe to put it. The key terms are "El Torito" and "System Area".

An ".img" is normally a hard disk image which can be copied onto a
random-read-write device and then immediately can be used as installed
operating system. (Shall i call it "after live" system ?)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas