Re: jesse->stretch for DYMO label printer

On Friday 14 July 2017 13:09:00 Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă wrote:

> On 14-07-2017, at 17h 22'40", Brian wrote about "Re: jesse->stretch
> for DYMO label printer"
>
> > On Fri 14 Jul 2017 at 16:26:30 +0200, Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă wrote:
> > > After jesse -> stretch upgrade my DYMO label printer is using a
> > > different font. Before I could fit 6 lines on a label, each line
> > > with 18 characters.
> >
> > Knowing the printer model is always useful.
>
> Thank you, Brian. It is DYMO LabelWriter 450. lsusb is listing it as
> "Bus 007 Device 006: ID 0922:0020 Dymo-CoStar Corp. LabelWriter 450".
>
> But this is not relevant for my question:
> > > Anyone knows where I can locate the config file for the fonts that
> > > are used by the label printer?
> >
> > Does a printer dialog in an application show any way of altering
> > fonts?
>
> What is "a printer dialog"? What application? I have an alias "label"
> that does "lpr -P label -o orientation-requested=5", and I print like
> this:

This is a case I believe, of the default text size, where-ever its set,
and which I do not know.

But what I would try is editing your alias to read:

lpr -P label -o orientation-requested=5 -o cpi=10

See the manpage for lpr for the nitty-gritty,  but you should be able to
adjust it for the result you need.  I believe also that you can control
the font used, in which case I'd install "hack" which is a mono-spaced
font and will not only look good, but will be a consistent character
width.

And adjust the 10 up and down until it fits. For multiline output, there
used to be a way to adjust the default 6 lines per inch, allowing the
text to be compressed vertically.

However for that fine a vertical control, you might have to use lp
instead of lpr.

lp has the -o lpi=option, but I do not see either cpi or lpi listed as
options in the current (for wheezy) lpr man page.

> # vi label
> # label label
> # rm label
>
> > > I reinstalled the printer, reinstall the printer-driver-dymo dpkg.
> > > I am not sure how to fix this.
> > >
> > > I use cups and the drivers that comes with it in Debian.
> > >
> > > I use Debian since hamm and potato.
> >
> > The printng system is not responsible for changing font size (except
> > when the input file is text). Surely, the application producing the
> > labels is where to look?
>
> It is not the font size. It is a different font al together. Size is
> comparable. But now the lines are shifted lower, so only 5.5 lines
> will fit with some space above and 16.25 characters will print out
> (from 20 characters, the first 3.25 and the last half characters are
> swallowed). Before it was 18 out of 18 were printed (also 18 out of
> 20, etc.).
>
> It is a label printer, so it is only text. What else can I do with it?
> Care to elaborate about the application you speak of? What does it do?
> It prints images on the label? Or pdf? I do not understand your
> answer. Sorry, Brian.
>
> "man lpr" doesn't have any option for fonts.
>
> Ionel

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)