Re: jesse->stretch for DYMO label printer

On Fri 14 Jul 2017 at 15:36:40 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Friday 14 July 2017 13:09:00 Ionel Mugurel Ciobîcă wrote:
>
> > What is "a printer dialog"? What application? I have an alias "label"
> > that does "lpr -P label -o orientation-requested=5", and I print like
> > this:
> >
> This is a case I believe, of the default text size, where-ever its set,
> and which I do not know.

Default text size and font for text files is feature of cups-filters.

> But what I would try is editing your alias to read:
>
> lpr -P label -o orientation-requested=5 -o cpi=10
>
> See the manpage for lpr for the nitty-gritty,  but you should be able to
> adjust it for the result you need.  I believe also that you can control
> the font used, in which case I'd install "hack" which is a mono-spaced
> font and will not only look good, but will be a consistent character
> width.
>
> And adjust the 10 up and down until it fits. For multiline output, there
> used to be a way to adjust the default 6 lines per inch, allowing the
> text to be compressed vertically.
>
> However for that fine a vertical control, you might have to use lp
> instead of lpr.

lp versus lpr. One does more than the other? How different are they?
A specific example would go a long way to substantiating your assertion.

My view is that both commands do the same thing.

> lp has the -o lpi=option, but I do not see either cpi or lpi listed as
> options in the current (for wheezy) lpr man page.

Not everything is in a man page.

http://localhost:631/help/options.html?TOPIC=Getting+Started&QUERY=

--
Brian