Re: Installing Debian on an android device

UTC Time: July 8, 2017 7:50 AM
From: joe@jretrading.com

On Sat, 08 Jul 2017 09:06:51 +0200
deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am following the work of Jolla (SailFish OS) and their community
> ports, but honestly without (Android) apps .... what do you use this
> device for? I think Ubuntu has also project targeting mobile devices.

I think that the Holy Grail for many people is a genuinely pocket-sized
computer with Internet, GPS, etc., running a real, general-purpose
operating system, not a marketing medium. I have an Acer One netbook,
which is nearly what I want except for the size. But then, I do like a
real keyboard, that doesn"t disappear just as a web form is about to
time out...

On a previous question of why I hate such devices I think Joe has
answered for me in most counts.  I really believe they were designed
from scratch to monitor every minute of anyone's life.  Just in case
at any point in the future some authority may want to back track the
live profile of a certain state or corporate enemy.  Which is understandable
for industry to be exchanging favors and gifts, as this is the nature of
the modern reverse welfare state.

There may also be the hope that with a proper OS, they will control the
device instead of just about anyone on the planet who wants to track
the owner, collect his data or listen in. That"s probably not a
realistic goal.

There is a small percentage of conscious resistors.

The manufacturers of tablets and smartphones are almost certainly under
some pressure to make it as difficult as possible to run an alternative
OS, in addition to the commercial pressure, of course. It"s quite
noticeable that the last couple of versions of Windows have tried quite
hard to discourage people from using non-Microsoft-approved
applications, and to make it appear that an account with Microsoft is
essential in order to even use the computer. That"s the direction we"re
heading in, not the other way.

The latest interpretation of the bill of rights states that: you have the right
to free speech as long as we know who is exercising the right and where
we may find him/her in case we need to extract information at homeland.s
basement, somewhere in nowhereland.

--
Joe

There have been leaks by android hardware engineers that there is so
many backdoors engineered within these systems that it is virtually
impossible to ever make it secure (orbot developers have admitted to
this but not given up entirely).  The goal of a portable pocket
size open architecture open source system seems to be possible but
it comes with a cost.  Just a display for one of those Berkeley open
boards costs as much as a late model android tablet.  Getting up to
i-phone cost with something that will end up being 4 times as big and
heavy is a sport for the affluent.

For scientific field work android seems very poor, while in idiotic
gadgets and games they are unbelievably wealthy.  So even a
jailed vm of debian being able to run apps on the run maybe just
what it may be good for.  The only reason it ended up in my hands
is that someone was really fed up with stalled applications after
a year that the 4core system with 1/2Meg Ram had 0 value.
Great battery still.  This is a lollypop and I also have a previous
model with a dead sealed wired battery and 1M ram.  So I could
possibly end up with a good one.  Soldering explosives is my
second hobby to hacking this device which I am better at :)

Back to gnuroot debian, I managed to get lxde to run and upgraded
to buster, not broken yet.  This was done with xserver xsdl which is
a ton more realistic than xsdl's app called debian with xfce.
If you play around with mouse/touch conf it ends up acting almost
as a real touch screen.  This all depends to your tolerance to frisbie
throwing gadgets.

Can you hack/pen test your device from inwards attacking its ip?

Anyway, it is a learning experience.