Re: Installing Debian on an android device

Fungi4All wrote:

> On a previous question of why I hate such devices I think Joe has
> answered for me in most counts. I really believe they were designed
> from scratch to monitor every minute of anyone's life. Just in case
> at any point in the future some authority may want to back track the
> live profile of a certain state or corporate enemy. Which is
> understandable for industry to be exchanging favors and gifts, as this is
> the nature of the modern reverse welfare state.

The hardware can not track your activities - it is the software

> The latest interpretation of the bill of rights states that: you have the
> right to free speech as long as we know who is exercising the right and
> where we may find him/her in case we need to extract information at
> homeland.s basement, somewhere in nowhereland.

Haha - this is a good one - I am just wondering when americans will raise
up - you need a change over there - big change

> There have been leaks by android hardware engineers that there is so
> many backdoors engineered within these systems that it is virtually
> impossible to ever make it secure (orbot developers have admitted to
> this but not given up entirely). The goal of a portable pocket
> size open architecture open source system seems to be possible but
> it comes with a cost. Just a display for one of those Berkeley open
> boards costs as much as a late model android tablet. Getting up to
> i-phone cost with something that will end up being 4 times as big and
> heavy is a sport for the affluent.

Again mixing up hardware with software - the software is android - not the
hardware

> For scientific field work android seems very poor, while in idiotic
> gadgets and games they are unbelievably wealthy. So even a
> jailed vm of debian being able to run apps on the run maybe just
> what it may be good for. The only reason it ended up in my hands
> is that someone was really fed up with stalled applications after
> a year that the 4core system with 1/2Meg Ram had 0 value.

hehe - android can not execute processes in parallel

> Great battery still. This is a lollypop and I also have a previous
> model with a dead sealed wired battery and 1M ram. So I could
> possibly end up with a good one. Soldering explosives is my
> second hobby to hacking this device which I am better at :)
> Back to gnuroot debian, I managed to get lxde to run and upgraded
> to buster, not broken yet. This was done with xserver xsdl which is
> a ton more realistic than xsdl's app called debian with xfce.
> If you play around with mouse/touch conf it ends up acting almost
> as a real touch screen. This all depends to your tolerance to frisbie
> throwing gadgets.
> Can you hack/pen test your device from inwards attacking its ip?
> Anyway, it is a learning experience.

I think you have to buy Nokia N9 or newer SailFish OS device ;-)

regards