Installing Debian on an android device

Although I despise such devices, my only experience has been
helping a friend out locating certain settings and installing the proper
software for specific uses.
Lately, a problematic one, ended up in my hands as the owner
gave up on it and purchased a better one.  The problem seemed
to be either bad ram cells that the system couldn't probably read
after writing, insufficient ram, or bugs on the system utilizing ram

I thought maybe a debian installation could possibly identify the
issues.  It seemed possible, even though there is no root access
on the system.  I managed to install debian with a package of
gnu-debian.
Then, after it seemed as a painless successful installation, I
tried to get some gui action.  I installed an x-server and up it went.

1  The pointing device doesn't seem to work as described.
2  Through browsing the system from debian I can't find where
android is stored as only the debian installation seem to exist,
although it is clear that android runs as a base still.
3  Would anything past jessie work?  Should I try it?
4  It feels like running in VM but it isn't.  No root no logins
no user.