Re: Installing Debian on an android device

On Sat, 08 Jul 2017 09:06:51 +0200
deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am following the work of Jolla (SailFish OS) and their community
> ports, but honestly without (Android) apps .... what do you use this
> device for? I think Ubuntu has also project targeting mobile devices.

I think that the Holy Grail for many people is a genuinely pocket-sized
computer with Internet, GPS, etc., running a real, general-purpose
operating system, not a marketing medium. I have an Acer One netbook,
which is nearly what I want except for the size. But then, I do like a
real keyboard, that doesn't disappear just as a web form is about to
time out...

There may also be the hope that with a proper OS, they will control the
device instead of just about anyone on the planet who wants to track
the owner, collect his data or listen in. That's probably not a
realistic goal.

The manufacturers of tablets and smartphones are almost certainly under
some pressure to make it as difficult as possible to run an alternative
OS, in addition to the commercial pressure, of course. It's quite
noticeable that the last couple of versions of Windows have tried quite
hard to discourage people from using non-Microsoft-approved
applications, and to make it appear that an account with Microsoft is
essential in order to even use the computer. That's the direction we're
heading in, not the other way.

--
Joe