Re: Replace systemd

On 2017-07-06 at 07:48, Reco wrote:

> Hi.
>
> On Thu, Jul 06, 2017 at 12:53:29PM +0200, Erwan David wrote:
>
>> Le 07/03/17 à 22:48, Dejan Jocic a écrit :
>>
>>> You can still use Debian without systemd as init. Explained
>>> here:
>>>
>>> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2017/05/msg00538.html
>>>
>>> If you would prefer that it is some derivate/fork of Debian
>>> without systemd, I do not have personal experience with those,
>>> but I'm sure that you will get few hints.
>>
>> init is a small part of systemd. And judging y the bug reported and
>> how they are treated, I do not trust any part of it. Neither
>> resolved, logind, etc...
>
> So you do not trust udev as well?

I consider it unfortunate that udev is maintained as part of the systemd
suite, rather than being maintained independently (even if by the same
people), purely from a separation-of-distinct-things perspective.

I haven't seen any relevant problems with it to date, however; the worst
aspect of that maintenance situation is that it means upgrading udev
shows the systemd changelog (which rarely has any relevant changes
listed), rather than only a changelog for udev itself.

>> And it is NOT possible to use debian without any part of systemd.
>
> Indeed it is. It is not possible to use Debian without udev.
> Everything else is optional though.

You do at least also need libsystemd0 - or at any rate, trying to remove
that on my (otherwise systemd-free) system results in removing 735
packages, and leaving at least a few hundred others in "automatically
installed, would be removed by autoremove" state.

--
   The Wanderer