Re: apt-get upgrade problem

On Sun, Jun 25, 2017 at 09:01:30AM +0000, Curt wrote:
> Because of the pedagogical interest of the thing, for those who come
> after us, for posterity's sake, I wanted the OP to give us a complete
> description of what occurred, rather than a misleading one (for we are
> left wondering why FF was held back in the first place, if an 'apt-get
> install' simply "went ahead and installed it."

In stretch, the upgrade from firefox-esr 45.x to 52.x requires a
new Depends: package, named libjsoncpp1.

If you are on stretch with firefox-esr 45.x and you do "apt-get upgrade"
(or the aptitude or apt or synaptics equivalent), you'll be told that
firefox-esr is held back, but you may not understand *why*, unless you
have some experience with Debian.

If you do "apt-get dist-upgrade" or "apt-get install firefox-esr", the
libjsoncpp1 package will be installed (after you confirm that it's OK),
and the firefox-esr package will be upgraded.

>From /var/log/apt/history.log:

Start-Date: 2017-06-16  14:15:04
Commandline: apt-get install firefox-esr
Requested-By: wooledg (1000)
Install: libjsoncpp1:amd64 (1.7.4-3, automatic)
Upgrade: firefox-esr:amd64 (45.9.0esr-1, 52.2.0esr-1~deb9u1)
End-Date: 2017-06-16  14:15:07

This sort of thing happens once in a while on stable, with some of the
security upgrades.  Web browsers are likely to see it, as well as
packages derived from the bind9 source package (dnsutils and so on).
This is because web browsers and bind9 are so completely full of
security holes that patching isn't even possible.  They have to roll
out new upstream versions instead.