Re: How did you update to stretch?

On Mon, Jun 26, 2017 at 02:50:38PM +0200, Hans wrote:
I am running debian now since "potatoe", which is a rather loooooong time. And
in all this time I never got into any bad problems. Impressiv!

Nice. Potato was when I got started too, but I do not have any continually updated systems from that time. I guess if I had kept my potato machines, I'd still be running a Pentium Pro P200 with 32M of RAM. Still useful for something
I'm sure :)

I always remarked at every update to the next stable version is, that aptitude
might  not be the best choice for that. At every update, aptitude is ending in
a loop with trying to solve dependency conflicts.

The release notes explicitly say not to use aptitude for this. You are right,
it does not work as well.

So, how are your experiences? Did you end in the same issues as I ended?

Nope, I read the release notes and simply did

	(correct sources.list)
	apt-get update
	apt-get upgrade
	apt-get dist-upgrade
	(pending reboot)

As I read, aptitude is the tool for the future, so I fear, apt-get will
disappear some day. Please don't! Aptitude does not do the job (full-upgrade)
very well at the moment.

That's not going to happen. I'm not even sure aptitude is maintained anymore.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://jmtd.net